Invisalign vs. Braces: Which Is Right for Your Smile?
When you need to straighten your teeth, you have two main options: Invisalign vs. braces. Both are great to help you get the smile you desire, but which one should you choose? Everything comes with advantages and disadvantages, and orthodontic treatments are no exception. Find out what you need to know about braces and Invisalign so you can make an informed decision and get the gorgeous smile of your dreams!
Braces Pros and Cons
Braces have traditionally been used to straighten teeth. Here are some pros to consider:
- They’re highly effective. Braces have been used to straighten the most misaligned teeth. They use brackets and wires and are quite powerful and effective for all cases.
- There are several types. While many people opt for traditional metal braces, you can choose gold and ceramic ones as well. All offer a unique look.
- They are usually cheaper. Braces are typically less expensive than Invisalign.
However, there are a couple of disadvantages to keep in mind:
- They stand out more. This is probably the biggest issue with braces—they are highly noticeable and may be frustrating for self-conscious teens.
- They’re harder to clean. Braces have brackets and wires covering the teeth, making brushing and flossing a chore.
- They’re not always comfortable. Braces use a lot of pressure to straighten teeth, and this can lead to soreness.
Invisalign Pros and Cons
Invisalign uses clear aligners to straighten teeth, and many people prefer them over braces. Here are some reasons why:
- They’re invisible. This is the biggest advantage of Invisalign. The aligners are not very noticeable compared to braces, so people can’t tell that you’re straightening your teeth.
- They’re comfortable. Invisalign aligners apply little pressure, plus there are no sharp edges to poke gums and cheeks.
- Cleaning is easy. You take out the aligners to eat and clean your teeth, so hygiene is easier.
Here are some cons to consider:
- Cost. You may wonder: is Invisalign cheaper than braces? This depends. The starting cost is roughly $3,500 for Invisalign vs. $2,500 for braces. The more complex the case, the more expensive it will be. So generally speaking, Invisalign will be more expensive than braces.
- Treatment time. Invisalign often takes longer because patients don’t wear their aligners as much as they should.
- Possible misplacement. Aligners are taken out when eating, so it’s possible to misplace them or accidentally throw them away. This is not possible with braces, which stay on 24/7.
What’s the Verdict?
In the battle between Invisalign vs. braces, there is no clear winner. Consider all the pros and cons listed above and discuss your specific situation with your orthodontist. You may be limited to braces, depending on the severity of your alignment issues.
Contact Us Today
Now that you know the pros and cons of Invisalign vs. braces, you can make the right choice for your or your child’s smile. Our team can answer your questions to help you get the best smile possible. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Let's get started on your smile journey!
4015 Palisade Ave
Union City, NJ 07087
Mon: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Tues: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Wed: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Thur: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
© 2023 Urban Orthodontics